With so many religions in the world, does it really matter what you believe?
With so many religions in the world, does it really matter what you believe? A growing number of people believe that all religions in the world are essentially the same and that truth is universal. Many now believe that no matter what religion you practice, as long as you are a decent and moral person, you will be rewarded in the next life.
Is it okay just to be 'good' or is there a true way of life? If there is only one right religion, what happens to those who do not believe it? In this issue of Teen Bible Study Guide we will discuss what God says about true religion and His Church.
The True Way
John 14:6 "Jesus said...'I am the way, the truth, and the life...'"
John 18:37 "...For this cause I [Jesus Christ] was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears my voice."
John 17:17 "Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth."
1. Where does truth come from? John 12:49.
2. What was the truth Christ brought and about which He spoke so much?
3. To whom has God given His truth?
God's Truth and His Church
Matthew 16:16, 18 "And Peter answered Him and said, 'You are Christ, the Son of the living God." (18) "And I say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it."
1. How many churches/denominations did Christ establish? I Corinthians 12:12-13
2. Is there only one true Church? I Corinthians 1:13; Mark 3:24-26
3. How does the Bible refer to God's Church? Acts 20-28; I Corinthians 10:32; Gal 1:13, I Peter 2:9-10
How Do We Identify God's True Church?
John 8:31-32 "Then Jesus said.. 'If you abide in My word, you are my disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.'"
John 10:27 "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow Me."
1. What are the identifying signs of those people who "follow" Christ's word?
2. How do we know that we are a part of God's true church? Romans 8:14,16
3. How do those in the church act towards one another? John 13:35
Why Doesn't the World Believe in the Truth Christ Brought?
Matthew 24:4-5 "For many will come in my name saying, 'I am the Christ, and will deceive many',"
Rev 12:9 "...Satan, who deceives the whole world..."
II Corinthians 4:3-4 "But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, (4) whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is in the image of God, should shine upon them."
John 1:5 "And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness does not comprehend it."
1. Is it possible that some of God's chosen people might be in other religions?
2. What about other "Christian" denominations who are right in certain areas of doctrine?
3. What about those individuals who are very "good" people, who do more good deeds perhaps than many in the church?
4. What will happen to people of other religions during the time of judgment since most are very sincere in thinking they are obeying God? John 12:44-50, II Peter 3:9.
1. What does God teach about His true Church (for His people today)?
2. What does society teach about true religion and how to pick a church?
3. What are your beliefs concerning the true Church?