If God does exist and if His will can be known, then each person must choose whether to seek and obey God or whether to ignore God and face the consequences. Another study guide will deal with knowing God’s will. This guide will lead you to answer the vital question: “Does God exist?”
Evidence from Science
Revelation 4:11 Revelation 4:11You are worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power: for you have created all things, and for your pleasure they are and were created.
American King James Version×“You are worthy, O Lord, To receive glory and honor and power; For You created all things, And by Your will they exist and were created.”
Romans 1:20 Romans 1:20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
American King James Version×“For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,”
1. The very first verse of the Bible says “God created the heavens and the earth.” If God exists, what would one look for in the physical universe that would reveal a creator God? What attributes of man-made products reveal the products were made by man?
2. What kind of world would you expect if there were no Creator?
3. Is there scientific evidence that the universe has not always existed, but that it had a beginning?
4. In Genesis 1:12 Genesis 1:12And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
American King James Version×; Genesis 1:21 Genesis 1:21And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
American King James Version×; Genesis 1:25 Genesis 1:25And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creeps on the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
American King James Version×God claims He made all plants and animals to reproduce after their own kind. Do plants and animals reproduce after their own kind or do living things breed new kinds of living things?
5. Is a preexisting living Being required to produce and give life to another life form?
Hebrews 4:3 Hebrews 4:3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
American King James Version×…”the works were finished from the foundation of the world.”
6. Would this be true if there was no God?
7. Does the law of the conservation of energy and matter uphold that statement from Hebrews 4:3 Hebrews 4:3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
American King James Version×?
8. Is there an alternate explanation for the existence of physical laws other than the existence of God?
9. Why do these laws remain in effect if there is no supernatural Being who sustains them? Psalms 104:24 Psalms 104:24O LORD, how manifold are your works! in wisdom have you made them all: the earth is full of your riches.
American King James Version×says God’s works are done with wisdom.
10. Do you see wisdom in the workings of nature? If so, list some examples.
11. Can an impersonal force be “wise”?
Psalms 14:1 Psalms 14:1The fool has said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that does good.
American King James Version×The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.”
1. Why is atheism foolish?
2. What reasons could cause one to choose to be an atheist?
Evidence from History
Look up biblical prophecies attributed to God concerning, for example, Ashdod, Askelon, Babylon, Egypt, Ekron, Sidon, or Tyre. Then compare the prophecy with history as recorded in an encyclopedia or other source.
1. Were the prophecies accurate?
2. List the prophecies concerning the Messiah’s first coming that were fulfilled by Jesus. List those not fulfilled.
3. Have any of man’s predictions consistently been as accurate as God’s?
Matthew 21:22 Matthew 21:22And all things, whatever you shall ask in prayer, believing, you shall receive.
American King James Version×“And all things, whatsoever you ask in prayer, believing you will receive.”
1 John 5:14-15 1 John 5:14-15 14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he hears us:
15 And if we know that he hear us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
American King James Version×“Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.” (15) “And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.”
1. Have you ever had a prayer answered?
John 17:5 John 17:5And now, O Father, glorify you me with your own self with the glory which I had with you before the world was.
American King James Version×“And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.”
2. Was Jesus’ prayer answered? Is there proof Jesus was resurrected?
3. Could the resurrection have occurred without God?
1. What does God say? Has He hid His existence from man?
2. What does the world say about God’s existence? Is belief in God popular? Do people express good reasons for their belief or disbelief God exists?
3. What do you believe? Which of the following statements do you believe are true? Which ones are false?
Existence of matter requires a God to have created it.
Existence of physical laws requires a God who both ordained those laws and keeps them working.
The intricate order throughout the universe requires one God to have so designed the whole universe.
Atheism is irrational.
Fulfillment of prophecies attributed to God requires God’s existence.
Answered prayer requires a God to hear and respond.