Sometimes the world we live in seems frightening, confusing, hostile and dangerous. Is it possible that Satan the Devil really exists and that he has something to do with the conditions we see around us? Is Satan relevant to your life? The Bible teaches us about God’s promises, plan and purpose. It also teaches us about Satan – where he came from, what he is doing, how we can avoid being drawn into his deception and what his ultimate fate will be. Use this lesson to discover the answers.
Did God create Satan?
Ezekiel 28:11-15 Ezekiel 28:11-15  Moreover the word of the LORD came to me, saying,
 Son of man, take up a lamentation on the king of Tyrus, and say to him, Thus said the Lord GOD; You seal up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.
 You have been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was your covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of your tabrets and of your pipes was prepared in you in the day that you were created.
 You are the anointed cherub that covers; and I have set you so: you were on the holy mountain of God; you have walked up and down in the middle of the stones of fire.
 You were perfect in your ways from the day that you were created, till iniquity was found in you.
American King James Version×: Moreover the word of the LORD came to me, saying, "Son of man, take up a lamentation for the king of Tyre, and say to him, 'Thus says the Lord GOD: "You were the seal of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. You were in Eden, the garden of God; every precious stone was your covering….The workmanship of your timbrels and pipes was prepared for you on the day you were created. "You were the anointed cherub who covers; I established you; you were on the holy mountain of God; you walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones. You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created, till iniquity was found in you."
1. Who was in the Garden of Eden? Of those in the Garden, which one does Ezekiel 28 seem to be describing? (Review Genesis 2-3.)
2. What kind of a being is a "cherub" ?
3. The individual described in Ezekiel 28 is a created being not an eternal being. What kinds of qualities was he created with?
4. What did he decide to be like? What is iniquity?
5. Please read Isaiah 14:12-14 Isaiah 14:12-14  How are you fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how are you cut down to the ground, which did weaken the nations!
 For you have said in your heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also on the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
American King James Version×. What did Lucifer decide to do?
Comment: Lucifer was a powerful and beautiful angelic being, created by God and serving at His throne. The Bible doesn't reveal when he was created, but it was well before God created Adam and Eve. Lucifer was perfect when he was created and continued to be perfect in all his ways until he sinned by rebelling against and trying to exalt himself above God. The name Lucifer means "morning star, or light bearer." God apparently created Lucifer to serve mankind by bringing light and truth to the world. Instead, he chose to become "Satan" which means "adversary" – the enemy of God. His self-appointed purpose is to oppose God, to bring confusion and destruction to mankind and to thwart God’s plan.
Satan’s influence begins
John 8:44 John 8:44You are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father you will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and stayed not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
American King James Version×: "You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it."
1. How does Jesus describe Satan?
2. What does it mean that these Jews were "of their father the devil"?
3. What lies did the serpent (Satan) tell Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden? (Read Genesis 3:1-5 Genesis 3:1-5  Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, Yes, has God said, You shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
 And the woman said to the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, You shall not eat of it, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.
 And the serpent said to the woman, You shall not surely die:
 For God does know that in the day you eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and you shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
American King James Version×.) Did Satan murder Adam and Eve? If so, how?
Satan’s influence today
Revelation 12:9 Revelation 12:9And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceives the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
American King James Version×: So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
1. How has Satan affected the world?
2. What characteristics does Satan have and what methods does he use that makes him so convincing and deceptive? (Read 2 Corinthians 11:14 2 Corinthians 11:14And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
American King James Version×. Remember what the name "Lucifer" means?)
3. What lies does Satan "tell" society today? (Hint: Think about people’s view of the purpose of life, moral standards, values and lifestyles. What do people believe and practice? How does that compare to what you are learning about God’s way?)
4. What do you think is the biggest lie Satan has told in today’s world?
5. What methods does he use to tell his lies? (Hint: Consider science, education, entertainment, religion…)
Comment: God created Lucifer, the light bringer. Lucifer "created" (became) Satan, the adversary. Satan started telling his lies to the first man and woman and hasn’t stopped since. For now, God is allowing Satan to influence and confuse people by making evil appear to be good and wrong appear to be right.
Could Satan influence you?
1. Peter 5:8: Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.
2. What precautions would you take if we were literally being stalked by a hungry lion?
3. What did Jesus say we should do to avoid Satan’s influence in our lives? Read Matthew 6:13 Matthew 6:13And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For your is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
American King James Version×and comment.
4. Read Ephesians 6:10-18 Ephesians 6:10-18  Finally, my brothers, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Why take to you the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
 Above all, taking the shield of faith, with which you shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
American King James Version×. How would each piece of this armor protect a person from Satan?
Comment: You have many choices in your life, some trivial and some extremely important. How can you be sure you aren’t being deceived and led astray? How can you know you’re learning true and right values instead of false ones? Even though Satan is much stronger than we are and is a very convincing liar and deceiver, we can avoid his influence. We must live carefully, thoughtfully applying God’s truth to the situations we encounter and decisions we make. And, most importantly, we must ask God for protection, perception and strength.
1. Read Revelation 20:1-3 Revelation 20:1-3  And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal on him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
American King James Version×. What will happen to Satan when Jesus returns to earth?
2. Satan will be released for a short time after the millennium, but what is his ultimate fate? Read Matthew 25:41 Matthew 25:41Then shall he say also to them on the left hand, Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
American King James Version×and comment.
1. Why do you need to know about Satan?
2. What do you need to know about Satan?
3. How can you resist Satan’s powerful temptations?