North Canton & Youngstown, OH; Pittsburgh, PA; Wheeling, WV Congregations
United Church of God, an International Association
SABBATH, May 9, 2020
12:00 Noon (EDT) – local webcast beginning with brief announcements from Mr. Stiver and followed by the sermon from Keith Wilson, Assistant Pastor in the Pittsburgh, PA and Wheeling, WV congregations.
*DUE TO PRECAUTIONS RELATING TO PREVENTION OF THE SPREAD OF THE CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19)
AND VARIOUS STATE REGULATIONS, WE WILL BE WEBCASTING LOCAL SERVICES UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
NEXT TWO WEEKS
(may be subject to change)
Sabbath, May 16
Local Sabbath webcast – 12:00 Noon (EDT)
Friday, May 22
Friday night Bible study webcast – 7:30 PM (EDT) – Randy Stiver
Sabbath, May 23
Local Sabbath webcast – 12:00 Noon (EDT)
Pastor’s contact information: PO Box 1474, Massillon, OH 44648. Home phone: 330-809-0566, cell phone: 740-739-7248. Email addresses: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org (both come to the same location). For emails regarding scheduling (church events, visits or counseling), please copy my wife Linda email@example.com. Announcements should be sent to my email and copied to our daughter Amanda at firstname.lastname@example.org as she helps process them each week.
1. LOCAL PRAYER REQUESTS and UPDATES
(If you notice that your prayer request needs updating, please drop us an email or a call with an update. Thank you!)
- Please pray fervently for the national and international emergency we are facing with the Coronavirus. Pray that God protect His people and that He extends mercy to our nation and to all nations as they face this health and financial crisis.
- Please also pray that our freedoms to assemble and to worship are restored as soon as is safely possible. We have long been able to take those for granted, but now is the time to treasure them. Also pray that the financial impact globally, nationally, and individually is mitigated through God’s mercy.
- Mary Wade – Mary (sister of Freeman Kuhns) is a resident at Rose Lane Nursing Home in Massillon. As of now there are cases of COVID-19 at her nursing facility. Despite isolation efforts on other floors there are now 4 cases on her floor, 2 of which are now hospitalized. Mary has respiratory issues which would make this very serious for her. We are requesting prayers for her protection.
- Pat Lesko – Pat (cousin of Jackie Stewart in the Youngstown area) has been fighting some severe health issues in the past month. Unfortunately, despite some positive progress, she has had to return to the hospital because of a rapid drop in blood pressure. Your continued prayers are appreciated.
- Steve Richmond (Cambridge) – Steve has been battling stage four cancer again this past year. He is in a lot of pain and his situation has become critical because the tumor is growing again. His doctor has increased his chemotherapy, which has difficult side effects. He has trouble eating and walking. He requests further prayer for relief of pain, for his surgery to be approved, and for God to intervene on his behalf.
Steve also really appreciates cards and letters: Stephen Richmond, 232 Dover Road NE, Sugarcreek, OH 44681
- John Williamson (Columbus/North Canton) – John, son-in-law of Louis and Carol Petit, has a confirmed, cancer diagnosis. Please pray for God’s healing and for peace of mind for John and Lisa, and Louis and Carol.
2. FEAST CANCELLATION - Puerto Vallarta, Mexico site cancelled for 2020
After much deliberating, praying and assessing the pros and cons since March, including discussions with the Hotel Friendly administration, the local Mexican pastor and the U.S. Festival coordinator, we have come to the regretful decision of canceling the Feast in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, for 2020.
The main factor is that our current registration numbers are well below what we have had in the past, so we do not have enough attendees to meet the minimum requirements. Only one-fourth of the normal number of attendees have signed up compared to previous years, along with lower numbers from the Mexican brethren, as well. -- Plans are in place to hold the Feast at Hotel Friendly, Puerto Vallarta in 2021.
3. FEAST UPDATES in Light of the COVID-19 Situation
Church administration is closely watching the COVID-19 situation. At this time different cities, states, and countries have instituted a wide variety of restrictions and procedures. Unless a governmental restriction prohibits a Feast site from operating, at this time all Feast sites remain open and planning will continue. Only one international site has announced cancellation due to low registration.
Any changes to “all sites are open” will bring about an immediate announcement. Please do not contact individual Feast Coordinators with questions about whether a site will be open or cancelled at this time. Conditions are fluid and constantly changing. The next scheduled update for the Feast of Tabernacles will be the Sabbath of July 11. That will still provide nearly 3 months advance planning and consideration before the Feast.
To receive immediate updates, be sure to subscribe to Email Updates which not only provide Feast updates, but church-wide updates, announcements, articles and more. You can register for those updates by going to feast.ucg.org, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Get Email Updates.”
--Charles Melear, Overall Festival Coordinator
4. LOCAL FESTIVAL COORDINATORS
Feast housing has begun forallU.S. sites. The Festival Planning Brochure is published online atfeast.ucg.org. Also, accommodation information for each site can be found at https://www.ucg.org/members/feast/sites. Please be sure to register for the Feast and begin making accommodation reservations when appropriate, and as your circumstances allow.
If you need local assistance, please contact your festival coordinator:
North Canton: Freeman Kuhns and Mark Miller Pittsburgh: Nathan Courtney
Youngstown: James Guy Wheeling: Jim Kocher
- GRADUATING SENIORS ANNOUNCEMENT FOR THE UNITED NEWS
We are going to feature the class of 2020 in the July-August United News. If you are a graduating senior, please take a few minutes to answer these questions and send a photograph by June 8. 250 words maximum.
Include your phone number or email address so we can contact you with any questions or to confirm spellings, etc. (they will not be printed). Please send with a recent photo (conforming with biblical standards of modesty) of the graduate by June 8. Digital photos should be at least 800 pixels in their smallest dimension to print sharply. Send by email to email@example.com (preferred), or send by mail to United News, P.O. Box 541027, Cincinnati, OH 45254-1027. We may edit for clarity and/or length to meet the 250-word maximum length.
Many graduation ceremonies are not occurring in-person this year, so feel free to include any information about what you or your school did to make graduation special in light of having to conduct it virtually or in an altered format. Thank you and congratulations!
Here's what to include:
- Graduate's name
- Parents' names (if high school grad)
- School, work, internship, co-op or other accomplishments
- Interests, interesting facts about yourself, Church activities you're involved in, hobbies, unusual skills, etc.
- Plans after graduation
- Additional comments (favorite scripture, favorite quote, motto, advice, poetry, wisdom, etc.)
6. COVID-19 Links and Resources:
West Virginia: https://dhhr.wv.gov/COVID-19/Pages/default.aspx
7. VIEWING SABBATH WEBCASTS – How-to
The following link can help you better connect to the webcasts from the UCG.org website. Please follow the link and read the extensive directions for more information and troubleshooting help:
8. PHONE HOOK-UP to Home Office Webcasts
If you need a phone hook-up to the webcast services from Cincinnati (2:30PM on Sabbaths) here are the directions:
Please call no earlier than 5 minutes before the service will begin. If the Home Office has not activated the meeting, the caller will be put on hold, and then asked to call again later.
Normal Calling Directions for Home Office Webcast:
For those who can pay for long distance calls or have an unlimited phone calling plan:
No access code needed.
If you know someone who could use the phone hook-up number, but does not get the announcements by email, please call them and pass along the information! Thank you!
9. PROVERBS READING PROJECT – From now till Pentecost, May 31
From now until Pentecost we’ll be reading through the books of Proverbs, following the schedule below.
BOOK OF PROVERBS READING SCHEDULE
Week Dates Chapter(s)
1 Jan 12-18 1
2 Jan 19-25 2
3 Jan 26/Feb 1 3
4 Feb 2-8 4
5 Feb 9-15 5
6 Feb 16-22 6-7
7 Feb 23-29 8-9
8 Mar 1-7 10-11
9 Mar 8-14 12-13
10 Mar 15-21 14-15
11 Mar 22-28 16-17
12 Mar 29/Apr 4 18-19
13 Apr 5-11 20-21
14 Apr 12-18 22-23
15 Apr 19-25 24-25
16 Apr 26/May 2 26-27
17 May 3-9 28
18 May 10-16 29
19 May 17-32 30
20 May 24-30 31