Resources for the members of the United Church of God

Local Church Updates: Dallas Celebrates 50 Years of Service

You are here

Local Church Updates

Dallas Celebrates 50 Years of Service

On the Sabbath of April 7, 2007, between the Holy Days of Unleavened Bread, the Dallas, Texas, United Church of God congregation celebrated 50 years of God's truth being preached in the area, 1956 to 2006. Meeting together with the Fort Worth brethren at the Marriott Solana Hotel in Westlake, many friends, family and members and ministers who have moved to other areas enjoyed renewing old acquaintances and reliving joyful times.

At the start of services the 50th Anniversary Keepsake Booklet was distributed. The booklet contained pictures of ministers and wives who have served in the area, along with a history of the local church.

During the sermonette portion of Sabbath services, the three remaining pioneer founders in the area were recognized: Kitty Brisco, Maisie Wheat and Louise Winant.

It was in Mrs. Winant's home in 1956 that the Dallas church held its first service. Sculptures were presented to each of these ladies in honor of their longtime service in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

A fine sermon was then given by Jim Franks on change from the heart.

After the service there was a lobby reception where many of our brethren could meet and all were having a grand time.

After moving back into the meeting hall, Doug Horchak, who has served as pastor since 2000, introduced Bob Hedge (now in Mena, Arkansas), who was a ministerial trainee in the area in 1972. Mr. Hedge gave a short remembrance presentation, mentioning that the ministers at that time in Dallas were visiting up to 50 prospective members in one week!

Frank McCrady III (now in Dayton, Ohio), who served in Dallas from 1987 to 2000, also spoke to the group. Recordings of greetings from several past ministers were played: Ken Martin (Macon, Georgia), who served in the area from 1966 to 1969; Ken Treybig (East Texas), from 1984 to 1985; Gary Smith (Portsmouth, Ohio) , from 1987 to 1990; and Don Hooser (Sedro-Wooley, Washington), from 1991 to 2001.

Another highlight was a heartening presentation from local member Tina Engelbart, who served with her late husband, Ozzie Engelbart, from 1967 to 1973.

Shortly thereafter attendees viewed a 30-minute slide show of the history of the Church of God in Dallas for those 50 years. Tears came to some longtime members remembering the sacrifices many have made to forward God's Church in the area.

Plans are to make that presentation available on a self-contained DVD for those who could not be there that Sabbath.

Later that evening a dinner/dance commenced, with music provided by the Sound Post band of the Fort Worth congregation. During the dance, the slide show was presented once again plus an expanded presentation of many other pictures. The dance ended an exciting day at midnight.

Thanks to all our members throughout the years for the contributions made to God's Church for the first 50 years in Dallas, Texas!