Almond Puff Pastry
Indulge in this melt in your mouth delicious Unleavened Bread safe pastry.
- 1/2 cup softened butter (bottom layer)
- 1 cup white flour (bottom layer)
- 2 tablespoons water (bottom layer)
- 1/2 cup butter (top layer)
- 1 cup water (top layer)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (top layer)
- 1 cup flour (top layer)
- 3 eggs (top layer)
- 1 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar (confectioner's sugar glaze)
- 1 tablespoon warm water (confectioner's sugar glaze)
- 1 bunch chopped nuts (confectioner's sugar glaze)
- 2 tablespoons softened butter (confectioner's sugar glaze)
- 1 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract (confectioner's sugar glaze)
Cut ½ cup butter into 1 cup of flour. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp. water over mixture & mix with a fork. Round into a ball, then divide in half. On an ungreased cookie sheet, pat each half into a strip 12” x 3”. Strips should be about 3” inches apart. In medium saucepan, heat ½ cup butter and 1 cup water to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and quickly stir in almond extract and 1 cup flour. Stir vigorously over low heat until mixture forms a ball, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Beat in eggs all at once until smooth. Divide in half. Spread each half evenly over each bottom layer, making sure to entirely cover the bottom layers. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until the top is crisp and a golden brown. Cool. Confectioner’s sugar glaze Mix 1½ cups confectioner’s sugar, 2 Tablespoons of softened butter, 1 to 1 ½ teaspoons of almond extract or vanilla and 1 to 2 tablespoons of water until smooth.
Frost each pastry, then sprinkle generously with chopped nuts (we prefer walnuts). This is my favorite unleavened dessert.