The Feast of Trumpets is not well known in the Christian community, but it has great significance in the plan of God. In fact, some have called it the “central, pivotal Holy Day in God’s Plan” because of the events (both joyous and terrible) it pictures. By using this guide you’ll see why it is so important.
Evidence From Scripture
LEVITICUS 23:23-25 ” Then the Lord spoke to Moses saying, (24)’Speak to the children of Israel, saying: “In the seventh month, on the first day of the month, you shall have a Sabbath-rest, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, a holy convocation. (25) You shall do no customary work on it; and you shall offer an offering made by fire to the Lord.’”
1. When is this feast? Is there significance to the number seven?
2. What is a holy convocation? What does this indicate about whether God thinks this is something important for man?
3. What does this feast day commemorate?
NUMBERS 10:2 “Make two silver trumpets for yourself; you shall make them of hammered work; you shall use them for calling the assembly and for directing the movement of camps.”
NUMBERS 10:9-10 “When you go to war in your land against the enemy who oppresses you, then you shall sound an alarm with the trumpets, and you will be remembered before the Lord your God, and you will be saved from your enemies. (10) Also in the day of your gladness, in your appointed feasts, and at the beginning of your months, you shall blow the trumpets over your burnt offerings and over the sacrifices of your peace offerings; and they shall be a memorial for you before your God: I am the Lord your God.”
JEREMIAH 4:19-21 “O my soul, my soul! I am pained in my very heart! My heart makes a noise in me; I cannot hold my peace, Because you have heard, O my soul, The sound of the trumpet, The alarm of war. (21) How long will I see the standard, and hear the sound of the trumpet?”
4. For what occasions were the trumpets used? Were they used in joyous times and in distressful times of war?
5. Does this indicate that the Feast of Trumpets pictures a time that is a mixture of joy and terror, a time of gladness but also a time of war? What could this future event be?
REVELATION 11:16-18 “And the twenty-four elders who sat before God on their thrones fell on their faces and worshiped God…”
6. Why are the nations angry? Will the reward given to the prophets and saints be something about which to be joyful?
7. Is God’s wrath something to fear, something terrifying? Read Revelation chapter 16 and chapter 19, verses 11 to 21, and then list what will be terrifying.
8. Is this at Christ’s return? Read verse 15 of chapter 11.
REVELATION 11:15 “Then the seventh angel sounded: And there were loud voices in heaven, saying, “The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!”
9. What is the angel sounding?
REVELATION 8:6 “So the seven angels who had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.”
11. Read the remainder of chapter 8 and chapter 9, then list what happens at the sound of each trumpet.
MATTHEW 24:30-31 “Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven…”
12. What else occurs at Christ’s second coming? Does an assembly occur?
13. Weren’t trumpets blown for assembly?
I THESSALONIANS 4:16-18 “For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout…”
I CORINTHIANS 15:51 “Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed— (52) in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.”
14. Is this a joyful occasion — something to look forward to?
15. Is a trumpet blown?
16. What change(s) occur(s) at the resurrection? Describe what you think living will be like after you are changed at the resurrection.
1. What does God want us to learn by keeping the Feast of Trumpets?
2. What are the opinions of most people concerning this particular feast? Do they celebrate it? If so, how? If not, why not? Do they see it as a picture of what happens at Christ’s second coming?
3. What are the reasons for what you believe regarding the meaning of the Feast of Trumpets?