God’s purpose in creating the human race is to reproduce His own kind, to fashion in each person His holy character. God gave to Israel seven annual festivals which reveal symbolically the steps in fulfilling that plan. Using this inductive study guide you’ll learn about the third step in that plan—Pentecost, the third festival of the year.
Evidence From Scripture
LEVITICUS 23:15 “ ‘And you shall count for yourselves from the day after the Sabbath [during the Days of Unleavened Bread], from the day that you brought the sheaf of the wave offering: seven Sabbaths shall be completed. (16) Count fifty days to the day after the seventh Sabbath then you shall offer a new grain offering to the Lord. (17) You shall bring from your habitations two wave loaves of two-tenths of an ephah. They shall be of fine flour, they shall be baked with leaven. They are the firstfruits to the Lord.”
1. What does “Pentecost” mean? What other names are there for this Feast?
2. When is Pentecost?
3. To what does the “sheaf of the wave offering” refer?
4. What occurs at this time of the year?
5. What do the loaves represent?
6. Why is leaven (a symbol for sin) an ingredient in these loaves?
7. Who are called “firstfruits” in the New Testament? Read James 1:18 James 1:18Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of first fruits of his creatures.
American King James Version×.
JAMES 1:18 Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.
8. Is there still sin in the church? If so, why?
9. What is the connection between a harvest and the church? Is there a “harvest” into the Family of God? Read Revelation 14:1 Revelation 14:1And I looked, and, see, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father’s name written in their foreheads.
American King James Version×,4 and comment.
ACTS 1:4-5 “And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, ‘which, ‘He said, you have heard from Me; (5) for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.’
ACTS 2:1,4 “Now when the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. (4) And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit….”
10. Did the apostles observe the Day of Pentecost?
11. What occurred on this day?
12. Was the Church founded on that Pentecost? Read Ephesians 2:18-22 Ephesians 2:18-22 18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.
19 Now therefore you are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20 And are built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
21 In whom all the building fitly framed together grows to an holy temple in the Lord:
22 In whom you also are built together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
American King James Version×and comment.
13. Who made it possible for us to receive the Holy Spirit? Read John 14:16-17 John 14:16-17 16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it sees him not, neither knows him: but you know him; for he dwells with you, and shall be in you.
American King James Version×, 26 and comment.
ROMANS 5:5 “…the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.”
ROMANS 8:13-14 “For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. (14) For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God.”
GALATIANS 5:16-18, 22-23 “I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. (17) For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. (18) But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. (22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, (23) goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.”
14. What does the Holy Spirit do in the life of a Christian?
15. What is the “love of God”?
16. Who is a son of God?
17. How does one “walk in the Spirit”?
18. Does the Holy Spirit make possible the making of the New Covenant? Read Hebrews 8:7-12 Hebrews 8:7-12 7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
8 For finding fault with them, he said, Behold, the days come, said the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, said the Lord.
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, said the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
American King James Version×and comment.
ACTS 2:38 “Then Peter said to them, ‘Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.’”
19. How does one receive the Holy Spirit?
20. What is “repentance”?
21. Are repentance and baptism pictured in any preceding Feast?
1. What does God want to impress upon us by observing the Feast of Pentecost?
2. How important do most churches regard Pentecost? Do they celebrate it? What meaning do they see in this day?
3. What meaning does this Feast have for you?