With so many religions in the world, does it really matter what you believe? A growing number of people believe that all religions in the world are essentially the same and that truth is universal. Many now believe that no matter what religion you practice, as long as you are a decent and moral person, you will be rewarded in the next life.
Is it okay just to be 'good' or is there a true way of life? If there is only one right religion, what happens to those who do not believe it? In this issue of Teen Bible Study Guide we will discuss what God says about true religion and His Church.
The True Way
John 18:37 John 18:37Pilate therefore said to him, Are you a king then? Jesus answered, You say that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Every one that is of the truth hears my voice.
American King James Version×“…For this cause I [Jesus Christ] was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears my voice.”
1. Where does truth come from? John 12:49 John 12:49For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
American King James Version×.
2. What was the truth Christ brought and about which He spoke so much?
3. To whom has God given His truth?
God's Truth and His Church
Matthew 16:16 Matthew 16:16And Simon Peter answered and said, You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.
American King James Version×, 18 “And Peter answered Him and said, 'You are Christ, the Son of the living God.” (18) “And I say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.”
1. How many churches/denominations did Christ establish? I Corinthians 12:12-13
2. Is there only one true Church? I Corinthians 1:13; Mark 3:24-26 Mark 3:24-26 24 And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.
25 And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.
26 And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but has an end.
American King James Version×
3. How does the Bible refer to God's Church? Acts 20-28; I Corinthians 10:32; Galatians 1:13 Galatians 1:13For you have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews’ religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:
American King James Version×, I Peter 2:9-10
How Do We Identify God's True Church?
John 8:31-32 John 8:31-32 31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If you continue in my word, then are you my disciples indeed;
32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
American King James Version×“Then Jesus said.. 'If you abide in My word, you are my disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.'”
1. What are the identifying signs of those people who “follow” Christ's word?
Why Doesn't the World Believe in the Truth Christ Brought?
Matthew 24:4-5 Matthew 24:4-5 4 And Jesus answered and said to them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
American King James Version×“For many will come in my name saying, 'I am the Christ, and will deceive many',”
Revelation 12:9 Revelation 12:9And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceives the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
American King James Version×“…Satan, who deceives the whole world…”
II Corinthians 4:3-4 “But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, (4) whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is in the image of God, should shine upon them.”
1. Is it possible that some of God's chosen people might be in other religions?
2. What about other “Christian” denominations who are right in certain areas of doctrine?
3. What about those individuals who are very “good” people, who do more good deeds perhaps than many in the church?
4. What will happen to people of other religions during the time of judgment since most are very sincere in thinking they are obeying God? John 12:44-50 John 12:44-50 44 Jesus cried and said, He that believes on me, believes not on me, but on him that sent me.
45 And he that sees me sees him that sent me.
46 I am come a light into the world, that whoever believes on me should not abide in darkness.
47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
48 He that rejects me, and receives not my words, has one that judges him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatever I speak therefore, even as the Father said to me, so I speak.
American King James Version×, II Peter 3:9.
1. What does God teach about His true Church (for His people today)?
2. What does society teach about true religion and how to pick a church?
3. What are your beliefs concerning the true Church?