My mom, Dolores Rhodes, made these every year when I was growing up - we loved them. I make them for my family now and they are a favorite - very portable, delicious and hearty.
- 1 cup flour (wheat)
- 1 cup flour (white)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- milk (enough to make thick batter)
- Preheat skillet with about 1/4" cooking oil (I use olive oil).
- Combine ingredients in medium mixing bowl
- Add milk until thick sticky batter forms.
- Drop by Tablespoonfuls into hot oil, flattening with back of spoon if needed.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides and drain on paper towels.
Variations: Use all wheat flour or mix other types of flours in place of the wheat and white flours. Very versatile and easy to make into super hearty snacks for on the go. They can also be eaten like pancakes with butter and honey which is fantastic.