Apple Baked Pancake
Fresh apple or pear hidden under a large, baked pancake.
- 1 apple or pear (Gala or Golden Delicious, peeled or left unpeeled, cored and cut into 1/4" wide slices, or pear)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon flax meal (or oat bran)
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar, organic
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
10-11" heavy cast-iron skillet or other ovenproof skillet.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat, then transfer 2 tablespoons to a mixing bowl or blender. Add apple wedges to skillet and cook, turning over once, until beginning to soften - 3 to 5 mins.
- While apple cooks, add milk, flour, flax, eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt to butter in bowl or blender. Mix or blend until smooth.
- Pour batter over apple and transfer skillet to middle rack in oven. Bake until pancake is puffed and golden, about 15 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar or serve with syrup, applesauce or yogurt.