When you decide to put God first, every facet of your life is affected. For example you eventually learn that the Word of God, the Bible, even contains dietary principles. This study guide will lead you to discover biblical principles pertaining to which food God designated to be good for our health.
Evidence from Scripture
1 Corinthians 3:17 1 Corinthians 3:17If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.
American King James Version×“If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.”
1 Corinthians 6:19 1 Corinthians 6:19What? know you not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which you have of God, and you are not your own?
American King James Version×“Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? (20) For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.”
1. What do these verses teach us about how we are to treat our bodies?
2. What does it mean to defile the temple of God?
3. How does one glorify God in his body?
4. How do these verses apply to what food to eat?
5. Why should holiness affect what one eats?
6. What is bad about eating scavengers and animals killed by predators?
Leviticus 11:2 Leviticus 11:2Speak to the children of Israel, saying, These are the beasts which you shall eat among all the beasts that are on the earth.
American King James Version×“Speak to the children of Israel, saying, ‘These are the animals which you may eat among all the beasts that are on the earth: (3) ‘Among the beasts, whatever divides the hoof, having cloven hooves and chewing the cud — that you may eat.’”
7. What animals are fit for human consumption?
8. List some common meats which are not fit for human consumption.
9. Can you think of any health reason why God would single out these animals as fit or unfit to eat?
Leviticus 11:9 Leviticus 11:9These shall you eat of all that are in the waters: whatever has fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall you eat.
American King James Version×“ ‘These you may eat of all that are in the water: whatever in the water has fins and scales, whether in the seas or in the rivers that you may eat. (10) ‘But all in the seas or in the rivers that do not have fins and scales, all that move in the water or any living thing which is in the water, they are an abomination to you. (11) ‘They shall be an abomination to you; you shall not eat their flesh, but you shall regard their carcasses as an abomination.’”
10. Name some fish can man eat?
11. Make a list of seafood that should not be eaten .
12. Can man eat any bird he chooses? Are fowl such as chicken and ducks acceptable? Read verses 13-19, and comment on guidelines to judge which birds are edible.
13. Does God also give instructions concerning insects, rodents, and reptiles? Read verses 20-23 and 29-31. Why do you think God is so specific?
Leviticus 3:17 Leviticus 3:17It shall be a perpetual statute for your generations throughout all your dwellings, that you eat neither fat nor blood.
American King James Version×“ ‘This shall be a perpetual statute throughout your generations in all your dwellings: you shall eat neither fat nor blood.’”
14. What kind of fat is this — animal or vegetable? Is it referring to “marbling” or that which surrounds the organs? Read verses 14-15 and comment.
15. What foods has manmade that contain blood?
Deuteronomy 14:21 Deuteronomy 14:21You shall not eat of anything that dies of itself: you shall give it to the stranger that is in your gates, that he may eat it; or you may sell it to an alien: for you are an holy people to the LORD your God. You shall not seethe a kid in his mother’s milk.
American King James Version×“You shall not eat anything that dies of itself ….”
16. How can an animal die of itself?
Note: The matter of a proper and balanced diet is not the intent of this guide. There is much more information and knowledge now from medical science and dieticians that positively add to this discussion of Clean and Unclean Meats.
1. What message does God give Christians concerning diet?
2. Do people in our culture teach the same principles regarding diet?
3. What dietary principle do you follow?